This bread is a win-win-WIN here in our house...
1. First, bananas at the store that everyone really wants quickly become bananas on our kitchen counter that nobody actually wants. Every. Single. Time. There's no better feeling than saving those grumpy, spotted bananas from going in the trash and giving them a new purpose-- banana bread!
2. As you know by now, I jump on every chance I get to avoid cane sugar and swap it out for Pure Maple Syrup. THIS, was one of them.
3. And last but not least, rhubarb is bountiful here in early summer, and we like to take advantage of its versatility. One can only eat so many rhubarb bars... okay... no, I could definitely enjoy them every. single. day. BUT, there are so many other delicious ways to use rhubarb. Not only do we freeze some for year-round enjoyment, but we like to incorporate it into some of our other summer-time meals and desserts. Our Danish friend who recently visited from overseas makes a "Rhubarb Porridge" and WOW, it's spectacular! So different than how I grew up eating rhubarb. Sauces, desserts and even tangy side dishes are just a few ways to enjoy it, but this week, I had overripe bananas in the house so I combined the two, and this is what happened....
Maple Rhubarb Banana Bread
You will need:
1-1/2 cups flour (we prefer unbleached)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon all spice
2 large eggs 3 medium, overripe bananas
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup Pure Maple Syrup
1 cup chopped rhubarb
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease loaf pan.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk all dry ingredients together and set aside.
3. Beat eggs for about 30 seconds, add bananas and mash until lumpy, then mix in vanilla and maple syrup.
4. Gradually add the flour mixture into the mash and mix until just combined.
5. Gently fold in rhubarb.
6. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes or until edges are golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.
7. Remove from pan once cooled. Drizzle with Maple Cream for bonus deliciousness-- Enjoy!